In the late 1960s and early 1970s, young people, especially in universities, were questioning prevailing social values. For some, Eastern philosophies and traditions such as Yoga offered a different path of personal development.
In 1970, philanthropic support enabled the creation of what is now the Total Health and Education Foundation as a vehicle for implementing innovative education and health initiatives.
The Foundation established a Guest Scholar Program and brought eminent people from all over the world to Australia to share their philosophies of life with the Foundation’s young people. Seminars and symposia were also held to share the knowledge of these scholars with the wider community.
Plans for a school soon began to take shape, not in the form of buildings and facilities, but as a thoroughly conceived philosophy translated into practical training of young teachers.
As planning for the school gained momentum, the search for a location began. Fortunately, an ideal building was found in a stately Victorian residence built in 1887 for the Chief Justice of Victoria. This once glorious mansion was run down and in use as a funeral parlour.
The Foundation purchased the property and began the monumental task of completely renovating the historical building. An immense volunteer effort by teachers and supporters restored the building to its former glory in only 2–3 months, ready for the opening of the school.